What is our goal?
Our goal is to create an opportunity for children in the Kurland community to form a meaningful relationship based on trust with our herd of 32 rescue horses as well as with themselves.
A few of our objectives are as follows:
- Obtaining the skills and ability to behave around horses, focusing on body language, movement and sound.
- Obtaining the skills and ability to take responsibility as well as caring for horses, this includes feeding, grooming, cleaning hooves, cleaning tack, cleaning paddocks, cleaning water and feed buckets
- Learning how to put a halter on, lead and tack up a horse.
- Learning how to mount, dismount and do the basic paces of riding including walk, trot and canter.
- Creating a positive and creative environment for children to obtain life skills and trust that they can take with them into the rest of their lives.
When will the program take place?
- Our program will be taking place on Tuesday mornings from 9am until 11am. Children will be collected at 8:45 from school and dropped off at 11:15.
- In the long term we would like to incorporate a second session in the afternoon on a Tuesday.
How will our program link to the work Wyanitah does?
- We will be collaborating with Wyanitah, communicating on a regular basis in order to ensure we are contributing to the work that she is doing. Our sessions will be based on what her goal is for the time being, in order to help her achieve her goals for the children!
Indemnity forms and transportation:
- All children attending our program are required to have an indemnity form signed by their parent or legal guardian, stating that they are allowed to take part in the program. If an indemnity is not signed the child will unfortunately not be able to take part.
- Transport for the children will be sponsored by Hog Hollow Country Lodge. Please note that all drivers will have PDP licenses and that children will each have their own safe seat and seat belts on at all times.
Hog Hollow Horse Trails Public Liability:
- Hog Hollow Horse Trails is insured for public liability up to the amount of R5 million.
- We believe that it is extremely important that the people included in working with the children have the right personalities as well as that they have not got bad history records.
- In order to assure that this is put into place, everyone involved will be required to have obtained a police clearance, which will be kept on file.